I decided to vary a bit from Gretel Parker's ears - I realized that I was modelling this after my real dog (also named Sadie) and, well, she's got really big pointy ears. Like bat big. And very expressive - she can do a 360 with those ears, no problem. The construction might be a bit unusual, but it worked well for the first ear, so I replicated it for the second! In creating this shape I started with a long piece of roving:
After a few punches with the green 5-needle, I moved to the pink 3-needle to continue shaping it up.
AND...an 8 month blogging hiatus later - poor Sadie, she's been done since last summer. Must...blog...regularly.
I need to finish this story before I can share my latest work, so here we go...picking up right where I left off!
I turned the ear around, and peeled sections of the unfelted wool down over the ear like so:
And then started felting those bits in place - there's the pointy ear that I was looking for!
On to Sadie's nose - I found this part difficult. The Mollie Makes project of Gretel Parker's that inspired me had a much more defined nose - a nice triangular shape too - but I don't think I've quite developed the control to deliver that just yet. So I did this instead: attached a piece of black fiber about 3 inches long in the center of her snout...
And then I kept wrapping the fiber in a counter-clockwise direction around the center attachment, and tacking it down with the needle!
Next step - eyes. I didn't have any of the plastic eyes that I wanted (I hadn't figured out how to source those yet), but I did have a little tin of faceted hemetite beads that worked just fine!
Gretel used a lovely little beret to hide the strings for attaching the eyes - I covered mine with a purple collar instead!
All she needed was a cute little tongue (Sadie is a very kissy dog!).
Sadie sits up on my crafting desk now...
This was the inspiration picture that I used - it's not a bad start!